Sunday, August 28, 2011

"On Fire": Features Week (or Two...or Three)

"So Jesse sent for his son and had him brought in. His skin was tanned. He had a fine appearance and handsome features.

Then the Lord said, 'Get up and anoint him. He is the one.'"---I Samuel 16:12(NIV-Reader's Edition)


It never ceases to amaze me just what a week can do and this past week has been *filled* with some *very interesting* conversations. Guess I shouldn't be surprised being that the entire world was created in one (Genesis 1&2), huh?

Anyway, it was after having an email conversation with an "On Fire" gal (hey TH!) that I was inspired to do this: a prayer campaign that I will be focusing on thru most of the month of September. The "9th" month of the year. The number that symbolizes "FINALITY".

It was a trip because she and I were talking about to-be-husband features. It wasn't really a *planned*  conversation. It just kind of played out that way (Proverbs 16:33-AMP). And it was...revelatory how *one feature* caused us to look at things in basically polar opposite terms. She said she wouldn't mind being with a short man because she talks too much for a tall husband (she has joking...kinda-LOL). I, on the other hand, would love a tall husband...kind of for the same reason. I have a strong personality. I think a man's height will remind me to "reel it in" at times. *At the appropriate times*. She associates a short(er) man with being a buddy. And she really wants her husband to be that. I associate a tall man with protection. And I really want my husband to be *that*.

And that got me to thinking...

I'm assuming that everyone on here is desiring a *husband*. Yet, sometimes, I wonder if that's being too general. Too broad. Not specific enough. Not that we're not to trust God to bring us *just what we need*, but I kind of wonder if some of us may not even know some of the signs of when he will arrive because we are asking for a "husband" but not necessarily for the *features* that he needs to have:

Feature: a prominent or conspicuous part or characteristic; something offered as a special attraction; countenance

Countenance: appearance, especially the look or expression of the face; calm facial expression; composure; approval or favor; encouragement; moral support; [obsolete] bearing; behavior

Yeah. Things are never really as simple as they seem, are they? Wanting to explore the *features* that you desire and more importantly *need* in your future covenant partner is pretty important!

Now, I did a bit of research (thanks, AGoodHusband.net!) and I think these 10 traits that *all* women should want in their husbands:

*Respect the Sanctity of Marriage
*Be Her Sounding Board
*Show Respect and Withhold Judgment
*Know When to Make It Be About You
*Work Hard and Work Smart
*Be a Leader
*Be Affectionate
*Care About Her Well Being
*Be Generous and Fair
*Think Like a Team

And yet, because the Word, which is God (John 1:1), tells us that Adonai fashions our hearts *individually* (Psalm 33:15), I think there are some that are less general. These are the ones that I will be praying about for the next few weeks. Until I get a release. That God will reveal to you the features to look for. Until *you* get a release.

I'll explain just a bit further...

You know, when I was looking for a Scripture to support this, I was beyond excited to see what the Comforter (John 14:16-AMP) led me to. I Samuel 16 speaks to when David was selected...destined...*anointed* to be the future king. If you read through the story, first Samuel thought that Eliab was the one. Jesse (David's father) then brought about Abinadab. And then Shammah. Samuel was told something by God that even in our "husband waiting period", we should keep in mind (and TH, this part may just trip you out-LOL):

"'Do not consider how handsome or tall he is. I have not chosen him. I do not look at the things people look at. Man looks at how someone appears on the outside. But I look at what is in the heart.'"---I Samuel 16:7(NIV-Reader's Edition)

We tend to look for physical features. Adonai looks at the heart features. Paul was inspired (2 Timothy 3:16-17) to reiterate this in 2 Corinthians 10:7(NKJV): "Do you look at things according to the outward appearance? If anyone is convinced in himself that he is Christ’s, let him again consider this in himself, that just as he is Christ’s, even so we are Christ’s."

That said...

If you keep reading on, you'll see that who God picked was the one that (please catch it) *Jesse didn't even consider presenting*. The youngest. A shepherd. I love that the Scriptures made sure to mention that although he wasn't an initial contender, he was tanned. And *fine* and had handsome features. You know, "handsome" doesn't just imply that someone is "good looking". It also means that someone is "skilled", "gracious" and "generous". It's someone who has an appearance suggesting "good health and strength"...it's someone who is "liberal" and "pleasant".

THIS WAS DAVID'S COUNTENANCE. This is what made him worthy to be anointed. This is why he was considered to be THE ONE.

I wonder how many of us are in our own "king selection" and overlooking certain contenders. I wonder how many of us are tempted to quit because we keep bringing to God our own versions of "Eliab", "Abinadab" and "Shammah" and God keeps telling us, "Nope", "Uh-uh", "Try again". I wonder how many of us don't even see the man God has for us and it's all because we aren't looking for/at the right kind of features.

If this is you, *please shoot me an email* (missnosipho@gmail.com). There is something special that I want to shoot over your way (Clear Response Fasters, I haven't forgotten about you. It's in the process of being...processed!). A way to hone in on your own custom husband features. Ways to know. Ways to leave the counterfeits alone.

OK. I've done my part. I look forward to you all doing yours, us "touching and agreeing" (Matthew 18:19-20) and seeing the *miraculous* that comes forth from it!

ml',

SRW



No comments:

Post a Comment