"A soul mate is…someone whose way of viewing life is not necessarily the same as yours but complements yours, so that there is not a compromise, there is a complement."---Paul Robear
Yeah. I know the topic of "soul mate", especially within the Church, is controversial. Personally, I've never really understood why. A soul mate *is* biblical, after all:
"Then Jonathan and David made a covenant, because he loved him as his own soul."---I Samuel 18:3(NKJV)
The thing that I am coming to *finally and fully* resolve within my own life is that a person must be a soul mate *as a friend* before they can *even begin* to graduate to "spouse"; that a soul mate...that should actually come *first*. The *friendship* between Jonathan and David shows us this fact. How sad and unfortunate *and often* it is that women will want to make a man their *husband* without even getting the foundation of him being a *tried and true friend*: Friend. Soul Mate. Husband. This should be the "decent order" (I Corinthians 14:40) of things.
And so *that* is why I'm so down with this article. Title and all.
You can read it in its entirety here; however, I have enclosed the rules, according to the author, that you should apply:
1) Switch from thinking of yourself as “single” and instead think of yourself as “ready to get married.”
2) Hold off on dating when you are going through life challenges that are draining you emotionally — including breaking off from a recent relationship that you are still emotional about.
3) Look for real chemistry.
4) Be aware of your weaknesses and limitations while continually striving to better your character.
5) (This one has the whole shebang included) Our sages teach us that before birth, our soul is split into two and our quest in life becomes to find our other half. For this to happen, we must focus on finding the soul of the individual. Instead of separating a person’s physical side from his inner qualities, view the individual as a whole. Allow his soul to move you gradually by getting to know him. Observe his actions and get a true sense of who he really is. What is his mission? What does he value? What moves him? What drives him?
6) When it seems that you will never meet your pre destined soul mate, practice trusting what God brings your way.
7) Many pray that they should meet their other half. Why not also pray for your other half?
Good food. For the soul.