Thursday, February 2, 2012

"On Fire": QUESTION OF THE DAY: "Are You Really a Victim If You Ignored All of the Warnings?"

I'm pretty sure that...

A lot of you have picked up on the fact that one of my favorite Scriptures is the Message version of Proverbs 28:9: "God has no use of the prayers of those who do not listen." Yet, after reading about an "emotional relapse" that someone recently contacted me about, I thought about that person's cycle: getting advice, not listening; being given warnings; still doing whatever they want; claiming to desire wise counsel, never taking it.

And ending up right where they started every time. In a situation that's ultimately going nowhere.

Something that I have personally found to be *real lifesavers* for me are *godly people* who speak into my life. In my pride and immaturity and sometimes stubbornness, I *used* to be the kind of person that would do whatever I wanted, when I wanted...how I wanted. These days? When people that I know talk to the Lord, love me and have my best interest at heart...*oh, and won't really benefit one way or another from the ultimate decision that I make* take issue with something I'm contemplating or participating in, I've been heartbroken enough times that I'm sick of it (literally) and so guess what I do *now*? I. LISTEN.

There's a reason why the Scriptures say, "Where there is no counsel, the people fall; but in the multitude of counselors there is safety." (Proverbs 11:14-NKJV) There is also a reason why Proverbs 16:18 (NKJV) tells us that, "Pride goes before destruction,and a haughty spirit before a fall." A lot of women *fall in love*, literally (like in a ditch), because their *pride* keeps them from adhering to *blatant warnings* that they are given. Warnings come "to give notice, advice, or intimation to (a person, group, etc.) of danger, impending evil, possible harm, or anything else unfavorable". When someone *warns* you and you choose to not listen, whatever result comes from that, who really is the greatest harmer? You or the person that you are (or were) in a relationship with? From personal experience and observation, I no longer think that the guy who hurts a person is nearly as much of a problem as the girl who was told he could be "dangerous", "evil", "harmful" or "unfavorable" and she moved forward anyway. Russian Roulette, literally or emotionally, is a crazy game to play.

When I went to the Lord about why so many women seem to remain in that kind of hamster wheel, I was like, "Ouch!" at what the Spirit (John 4:24) said: "I didn't tell anyone to 'leave and cleave' to a boyfriend. This 'You and me against the world' mentality is extremely premature in a dating situation. UNTIL THERE IS COVENANT, I SANCTION WISE COUNSEL."

And boy, was this confirmed via an email that I received on yesterday. Here's an excerpt:


"The real measure of the authority of Scripture in my life is not the respect I have for the Bible but the response I have to it...

If I listen to a friend’s advice but do nothing with it, they have no 'authority' in my life. I may like them and think highly of them. But authority is something I grant. Authority is my specific choice to come under their influence.
 
Similarly, if I refuse to submit to the Word of God, it has no authority in my life. If I respond only when it is convenient or agreeable, then I 'use' the Bible rather than allow God to use it to guide me. I seize control. My power usurps its authority."


A man by the name of David Timms penned that. Funny how *that* plays out. If you're too prideful to respect the Authority and authoritative figures that are placed into your life as a *single* person, what *possibly* makes you think that you will be able to *submit* as a wife? Too prideful to listen is...too prideful to listen.

And so, rather than some of us praying for someone to love in this season, perhaps the *really beneficial focus* would be for the Lord to *break that pride* so that promotions can come (Luke 14:11). In due time (Galatians 6:9).

Warnings come to *protect* you. 

"On Fire" ladies...*please listen*.


ykl,


SRW

No comments:

Post a Comment