Wednesday, March 21, 2012

An Ounce of Prevention: "What DANA Wishes She Knew as a Single Woman Before Marriage"

"I wish I would have accepted the fact that once you're of the legal age of accountability and certainly after you've gotten your education and moved out of the house, what you want takes precedence over what other people think you should want for your life. Marriage was honestly never on my 'to do' list. I wanted to travel. I wanted to do missions work. I saw a really full life for myself as a single woman. But my parents thought that I should be married and so in a total misunderstanding of what it means to 'Honor thy mother and father', I got married. More than once. And even now, I'm still reeling from a lot of the pain that putting myself last caused and I'm trying to forgive them for pressuring me and myself for giving in. I'm learning to love my husband, this husband, but he would have gotten such a better version of me had I lived a full life as a single woman first."---Dana (61)

No comments:

Post a Comment