Sunday, September 9, 2012

"On Fire": Sex Is to Be a Love CELEBRATION


Yes...yes.

Peabo and Roberta. Back to a time when you could sing a song about sex and not feel violated or like you lost your virginity (for some of us, um, *again*) after hearing the lyrics.

This won't be a long message. The song *speaks volumes* all on its own. Yet when it came back to me *just a second ago* (and I can't remember the last time I've thought about although I've *always* loved it) and I asked the Spirit why, I was encouraged to focus on the word *celebrate*; that they were singing about *celebrating their love*.

OK, so two definitions of celebrate are "to commemorate occasion, achievement". Getting a sex buddy or a "step up" in the form of a boyfriend, well...I'm not sure just how much of an *achievement* that is. But if you're still "on the fence" of agreeing with me, look at some of the synonyms for celebrate:

Celebrate synonyms: bless, ceremonialize, commend, consecrate, dedicate, exalt, extol, feast, fete, glorify, hallow, have a ball, honor, jubilate, keep, kick up one's heels, laud, let loose, lionize, live it up, make merry, make whoopee, memorialize, observe,  party, perform, praise, proclaim, rejoice, revel, revere, ritualize, signalize, solemnize 

Bless: celebrate , endow, favor, give, glorify, grace, laud, magnify, praise, provide 

And then look at the lyrics of the song itself: 

Tonight I celebrate my love for you
It seems the natural thing to do
Tonight no one's gonna find us
We'll leave the world behind us
When I make love to you

Tonight I celebrate my love for you
And hope that deep inside you'll feel it too
Tonight our spirits will be climbing
To a sky filled up with diamonds
When I make love to you, tonight

Tonight I celebrate my love for you
And that midnight sun is gonna come shining through
Tonight there'll be no distance between us
What I want most to do, is to get close to you
Tonight

Tonight I celebrate my love for you
And soon this old world will seem brand new
Tonight we will both discover how friends turn into lovers
When I make love to you

Tonight I celebrate my love to you
And that midnight sun is gonna come shining through
Tonight there'll be no distance between us
What I want most to do, is to get close to you
Tonight I celebrate my love for you
Tonight


How many of us would've saved our "party pack" if the marriage bed had been presented in this way? I said in one of my books that sex is about *celebrating love* not *creating it* and when you think of all that comes with celebrating and blessing another person with our bodies, when you think about spirits soaring and sex *transitioning* friends into lovers *and the world seeing something new* because of it, doesn't it seem a bit...like a let down to try and mimic this before marriage? Again, a celebration marks an *achievement*. *Anyone* can have sex. It's a *special occasion* to share your mind, body and spirit with your *covenant partner*.

Bottom line...if it ain't worth *celebrating* then it ain't worth *doing*.

Let this "Hebrews 13:4 lullaby for lovers" be a reminder to us all.

Nite y'all. ;-)

tmm,

SRW

No comments:

Post a Comment