Tuesday, December 24, 2013

"On Fire": If FEAR Is Your REASON, That Is Nothing More Than an EXCUSE


http://meetville.com/images/quotes/Quotation-Mary-Deturris-Poust-faith-trust-Meetville-Quotes-108442.jpg

So...

Last night, I was having a conversation with a spiritual sister of mine. The way we tend to roll is that a couple of times per year, we'll talk for a couple (if not several) hours. When we got to the "So, what do you want me to pray for you?" portion of the program, what she said I found to be pretty...unexpected. At least from her:

"Pray that I find a dream..." she said.

"What do you mean, exactly?" was my response.

"I need to find my passion right now. I'm just not sure what that is."

If you've been following this blog and/or you're on the devotional list that I do, then you know that I've been *going hard* for spiritual gifts in 2013. After all, it's not so much in our *talents* but in our spiritual gifts that the Holy Spirit gives us supernatural abilities (I mean, a lot of celebrities are using their talents but because their spiritual gifts are not attached, things are a bit...strange). So when anyone tells me they are not sure what to do with their life, taking a spiritual gifts test is the first thing that I encourage them to do (and interestingly enough, she doesn't recall ever taking one before). Crafting a vision board is what's next.

However, there is something else that I also discern helps to put pieces to the puzzle together. Earlier this year, I decided to change the signature on my phone. I smiled at what the Holy Spirit gave me to say:

Love more. Do better. Stay open.

Real talk? There are a lot of people who cannot LIVE BIG in life because they are hesitant---OK, scared---to do one or all three of those things.Someone has hurt them to the point that they are afraid to love more. They have made so many mistakes in the past that they are scared that they are not able to do better. And have mercy but religion, stagnation, familiarity, being addicted to patterns, being too attached to people makes them fearful to stay open. OPEN.

When you're open, you're "not closed".
When you're open, you're "not blocked".
When you're open, you're "available".
When you're open, you're "ready to entertain new ideas".
When you're open, you're "unoccupied".
When you're open, you're "ready for business".
When you're open, you're "mild" (wow!).
When you're open, you're "eager to receive".
When you're open, you're "not decided or finalized". (You're *letting God move* rather than *telling him where you're going to go*.)

It is the people who are OPEN who live BIG!

I got confirmation of this resolve just this morning because something else that I advised my spiritual sister to do was check out Kisses from Katie's blog and as life (i.e., God) would have it, Katie just posted something new *on yesterday*. It's this excerpt that I feel led to share:

"God doesn’t need us to be ready for Him; He has been ready for us since the beginning of time and the Messiah is here calling us to commune with the Holy One, to eat at His table.

I want the house to be organized and kids to be clean and nicely dressed and I want dinner to come out of the oven on time, but at the end of the day [there are still] laundry piles and there are still crumbs in the corner and can anyone remember if I brushed my teeth today? And it can’t be the New Year yet because I am just not ready for it to be a new year yet.

But I remember when I wasn’t ready to move to Uganda. I remember when I wasn’t ready to kiss the people I loved the most goodbye. I remember when I didn’t have enough money to sponsor just ten children, and I remember when I wasn’t old enough to be a mother, and I remember when I didn’t know how to parent. I remember when I couldn’t cook for fifteen people and when I didn’t want to share my house and my things and my life with sick people and addicts. I remember when I was afraid of the slum community that now holds hundreds of friends and when I was terrified that my daughter would never walk and when I was scared that we would never heal after tragic loss. And I remember that never, not once, was I really as ready as I wanted to be. And I remember that God kept all His promises, every last one, in His perfect time.

This new season looms and I don’t know what is next. But He doesn’t need me to be ready for this season because He is ready. He just needs me to be clinging to His feet."


This, "On Fire" women, is the live and living color evidence of someone who is open and Katie is a reminder that being open is a daily (and sometimes moment by moment) choice.

Although I personally am someone who tries and look at each day in the way that many people look at each new year, being that I know this is the season when folks look to the next calendar year and find themselves asking "What's next?", I just want to give the heads up that it's going to be very challenging to get an *abundant answer* to that question if you are to scared to try something new or move some place different or break out of religious traditions (that oftentimes have no solid biblical foundation anyway-SMH) or resolve some of your past or forgive that man who hurt you or explore some new approaches to things.

When Isaiah 43:19(NKJV) says "Behold, I will do a new thing, now it shall spring forth; shall you not know it? I will even make a road in the wilderness and rivers in the desert", something that is important to keep in mind is that if "it" is going to happen the way that *you think it should* (and remember that God does not think like you do-Isaiah 55:8-11), I'm not so sure how "new" that actually is being that new, by definition, can mean that something is "unfamiliar" or "strange". And so, if you're too scared to live big because you are hesitant to try something new well...that's unfortunate.

And honestly, that's not a really good reason.

It's actually nothing more than an excuse.

So, if you were looking for a sign that you should step out and "walk in faith" (2 Corinthians 5:7), take this as one.

Life (on this earth) is short.

Be open.

So that you can...

LIVE BIG!

tmm,

SRW

No comments:

Post a Comment