Tuesday, January 14, 2014

BOOK RECOMMENDATION: 'Confessions of a Boy-Crazy Girl: On Her Journey from Neediness to Freedom'

http://paulawrites.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/cover_Confessions_of_a_Boy_Crazy_Girl.jpg

I know, right?

While I was doing some research on something, I "happened upon" (Proverbs 16:33-AMP) a quote that caught my attention: "Trust God with your love life, and buckle up for the ride!" I dug it so much in fact that I looked up the author's information. Apparently, Paula Hendricks penned a book last summer and yes, I dig its title too.

Here's an excerpt from "The Prayer That Rocked My World":

It was a desperate prayer I prayed that fall---that God would free me from my idols and teach me to trust Him with my love life. I don't know what I expected, but it certainly wasn't a punch to my gut that left me reeling with shock and my whole world spinning out of control. To say I didn't see it coming would be the understatement of the year. Had I known how God would answer my prayer, I'm not sure I would have had the courage to pray it. 

While the light fixtures swung, the walls did the tango, and the evidence mocked "Your God has purposefully been cruel to you," deep down I knew the truth. The blow was a severe mercy. Yes it hurt---hurt so bad my tears didn't dry up for months---but I also knew God was answering my prayer in a way that would ultimately bring healing and freedom.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

The reason I prayed this bold prayer was that I wanted off of my merry-go-round ride that never stopped its perpetual spinning. It went something like this: 

1) Spot a cute boy (we'll call him Boy A).
2) Dream about Boy A.
3) Do whatever it takes to make Boy A notice me.
4) Even though Boy A doesn't pursue me, hang on to my dream of Boy A until (a) he moves to the North Pole with no access to a cell phone or computer, (b) dies and is buried or cremated, or (c) begins dating another girl.
5) Mend my broken heart by hating Boy A and finding another cute boy (Boy B).
6) Replace Boy A with Boy B.
7) Dream about Boy B.
8) Make sure Boy B notices me.
9) Hang onto my dream of Boy B until he...
10) Move on to another cute boy---Boy C.

The truth is, I went through an entire alphabet---and more---of boys over the years.

....

"Little g" Gods and the "Big G" God

I should explain: I wasn't running after one of those fat, little, golden idols. A friend once described a god, or an idol, to me this way: an idol is something that, without it, you think you'll face "hell"---your own personal version of torment and pain. But with your idol, you think you'll be saved from that hell. Whatever you think will save you from your "hell" is your idol.

Have you ever thought about what your "hell" and idol are? Most of us have more than one, but my main idol was a boyfriend. I thought it would save me from the hell of not being loved. 

An idol or a "little g" god, is a dangerous thing and will always disappoint us. That's because it's a cheap substitute for the "big G" God, the one we were made by and for. This "big G" God is our Creator and King of the entire universe. Not a cruel, capricious king but a kind and just King.

Yeah. I think I'll stop there but boy is she onto something.

It's exactly a month a way from Valentine's Day today. So pick a copy up for yourself or for a friend who you feel could use her customized brand of deliverance. ;-)

God is speaking. Hope we're all listening.

Luxuriant,

SRW

1 comment: