Wednesday, February 19, 2014

"On Fire": REALITY CHECK: 'I'm Sorry I'm Not Idris Elba'

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/19g6h4gnd5u9ijpg.jpg

Whenever I tell people...

That my first boyfriend (physically) reminds me of Idris Elba, they roll their eyes with an "as if" expression on their face. (LOL) Yet, here's the thing, if ever there's a time when I'm sure he wouldn't mind being revealed, it would be now---in this context:


OK, could they pass for brothers? Eh. Maybe. Maybe not. But do I think they're related somewhere down the pike? DEFINITELY. All chocolate 6'-plus of them!

*God, you do some mighty good work. Mighty good!*

My point is this. It's amazing how much we can let our fantasies jack up our reality (Ecclesiastes 7:18-Message). Idris and my first are some attractive men and the media and time-to-time chats with my ex let me know that neither one of them are lacking in the getting-female-attention department. Yet we *still* have to remember that someone's physical appearance is like wrapping paper on a gift. You can just as easily have a dead possum in a gold box as a diamond ring.

I think that's why I appreciated the "I'm Sorry I'm Not Idris Elba" campaign that has recently gone viral. Indeed, some of the tweets are more than funny...*they're real*:

Idris Elba aint play cliffhanger on the corner of the bed last night because you sleep like a wild boar. I did.

Idris Elba doesn't help you find your head scarf before you go to bed. I do.

Idris Elba didn't show up to the club with a charger when your phone died on girls night, bae.

Idris Elba ain't help you look for your phone for 20 min even tho it was just in your purse like it always is. I. Did. That.

Idris Elba didn't stop & pick up them tampons from CVS. I did.

So as you're making out your "husband wish list" and checking it twice, a man who looks good is nice (very nice). BUT A MAN OF CHARACTER IS WHAT MATTERS MOST (Colossians 3:12-17).

I'm pretty sure that Idris and my ex would agree.

Oh, and be encouraged (LOL). The "Idris lookalike" I dated lives a county over. Yes Idris, as an individual, is rare but an Idris lookalike ain't as hard to find as you might think. If that's your type. ;-)

Oh again. If you were curious about his (Idris, that is) response:

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1/1926829_10152220706969894_386116153_n.jpg

Excellent. Good for him!

Luxuriant,

SRW

No comments:

Post a Comment