Sunday, November 2, 2014

"On Fire": What Are You Doing with Your Singleness? Exactly?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-xmD_cn9jBAY/UIlvZNHOi-I/AAAAAAAABog/yrF7P-AcYPM/s1600/single.jpg

So...

If you look to the right side of this post, you will see that this movement started approximately five years ago. *Wow*. "On Fire" is five-years-old this month. What started out as a literal fast has transitioned into a five-years-and-counting movement. You really never know where "one step on the staircase" will lead you. That's why the Word tells us that our *steps* are ordered (Psalm 37:23) and that we are to *walk* (rather than the oh-so-popular "leap belief") by faith rather than sight (2 Corinthians 5:7).

And so, as we enter into the celebration of grace (after all, "grace" is what "five" biblically symbolizes), as a "signs and wonders gal" (Daniel 4:2-3), I actually get why a text turned into an email that turned into a conversation with a friend of mine today.

Matt plays the guitar and today, I asked him to send me something that would showcase his music. He texted me a SoundCloud link with a song on it that is beyond precious. So much in fact that after emailing it out to some folks, I then called him.

As we chatted about his talents, the young woman's voice on it and the project in itself, I looked her up. Jaime Hilton is currently doing a fundraiser for an original lullaby project. The song that I heard is called "Faith Hope & Love 1.1".  It really is very sweet and truly special. Yet, it's what she stated on her Indiegogo page that *really caught my attention*. Here's an excerpt:

I figured composing personalized songs would be a thoughtful gift, at the time.

I don't have kids. But so many of my friends have children I adore or were getting pregnant and, so I kept writing songs with their individual children in mind. After writing over a dozen lullabies, there are enough to put them all together in a playlist for little joy-bringers and warriors.

During this season, my heart peeked into this vast treasury of God's premeditated, enormous zeroed-in adoration and enthusiastic provision for each individual child. Glimpsing the depth of that love for each newly created being, I'm compelled that these songs are meant for more than just the handful of children I know.  These melodies were meant for your children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, and families-in-love as well.

The lyrics of these lullabies pack the incorruptibility of God's promises and introduce children to His kind intentions toward them. Blending peaceful melodies, live instrumentation and skillful production, the ROOTS & WINGS lullaby project is meant to build a foundation for littles to know they are thoroughly loved and they can be confident and courageous in life's adventures.


Yep. Jaime is single and has no children. And yet, the Spirit (John 4:24) has placed it upon her heart to pen songs for the people in her life who have children. *Dig that*.

I'm pretty sure that a huge part of the reason why I can relate to Jaime is that I too am single and yet, I have such a passion for marital covenant: For people to be joined to *God's best* for them and then for them *to commit* to that *one person* until death parts them. *Just as marriage was intended to be from the very beginning* (Genesis 2:18-25, Matthew 19:1-12).

Amazing how sometimes we can be so focused on not having our own family that we fail to acknowledge all that we can bring to the family ministry as a whole, isn't it? Personally, I made peace a relatively long time ago with the fact that when Paul was divinely inspired (2 Timothy 3:16-17) to pen the following, it did not automatically or necessary mean *church ministry*:

"But I want you to be without care. He who is unmarried cares for the things of the Lord—how he may please the Lord. But he who is married cares about the things of the world—how he may please his wife. There is a difference between a wife and a virgin. The unmarried woman cares about the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit. But she who is married cares about the things of the world—how she may please her husband. And this I say for your own profit, not that I may put a leash on you, but for what is proper, and that you may serve the Lord without distraction."---I Corinthians 7:32-35(NKJV)

Helping people to be responsibly married *is* a "thing of the Lord".
Providing tools to help parents to nurture children *is* a "thing of the Lord".
Using whatever spiritual gifts and talents that you have to make this world better *is* a "thing of the Lord". (The "Kisses from Katie" blog immediately comes to mind.)

Marriage is awesome. Everything that God does is. And yes, please believe me that I totally get that there are times when you probably feel a lot like what some people were quoted as saying in the article "If Singleness Is a Blessing, Why Does It Feel Like a Curse?". Yet let us not forget that one, everyone comes into this world single; that it's a part of God's plan of order (I Corinthians 14:40); two, that two of the most powerful people in biblical history were single: Christ and Paul and three, single doesn't only mean "unmarried". Single also means "unique" and "distinctive" and "individual". Psalm 33:15 tells us that God fashions our hearts individually and I Corinthians 12:11 tells us that he gives us spiritual gifts, *individually*, as he wills. Being an individual is not designed/meant to be a lonely thing. It's to be a purposeful thing. It's a time to get to truly know how our hearts are fashioned and what our spiritual gifts and talents actually are. It's a time to do just what James 1:4 tells us that patience is designed to do: "But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing."

Trust me, a *whole woman* is a lot better for a man in marriage than a broken one. Besides, a man who is walking in his own purpose is going to be looking for a woman who is not only clear about her calling (Romans 11:29) and purpose (Psalm 20:4), but devoted to and serving within it. She's not going to be good help to him otherwise.

So Jaime, let this blog serve as a "confirmation seed" that what you are doing is godly, blessed and well-supported; it's anointed, in fact. I say that because Malachi 2:15(NCV) says "God made husbands and wives to become one body and one spirit for his purpose—so they would have children who are true to God." Your music confirms this and yes, you're being a good representative of singleness and the Word says that it's OK for you to receive praise from others (Proverbs 27:2). Therefore, my pom-poms are up (I'll back that up with a few bucks too-LOL).

"On Fire" ladies, if you would like to support Jaime, her fundraiser ends on 11/20/14. Here's the link to her Indiegogo page: Roots & Wings: An Original Lullaby Project. Even if it's not in your budget to make a donation, please share the link with others. Pouring into God's babies is truly a worthy cause.

And let Jaime inspire you to ask yourself: "What am I doing with my singleness, exactly?"

Then wait for the Spirit to hear the answer...or the instruction. (Proverbs 3:5-6).

This time is not for naught.

It's unique.
It's distinctive.
It's so that you can do something for the Most High that *only you* can do.

In your meantime.

Luxuriant,

SRW

1 comment:

  1. Shellie, this is Jaime!
    First of all, I've only ever heard the best about you.
    Second, I'm not even sure how to express this, but I am honored beyond words by what you shared. Totally honored. The timing of it could not have been more appropriate, and I will certainly take this as a confirmation seed.
    *Dig that*
    Thank you so much for being willing to truly SEE this. That, to this heart, is a priceless gift. If we ever meet in person, which I'm hoping someday we do, I'd like to give you a big hug.

    Gratefully overwhelmed,
    jaime

    ReplyDelete