Thursday, November 6, 2014

"On Fire": You Don't Have to 'Sell Yourself'. JUST BE YOURSELF.


http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-kFOhIdD7BnY/UrCb1R3MQ4I/AAAAAAAAAZU/6LkDQRJkg30/s1600/Screen+shot+2013-12-17+at+8.44.40+AM.png

So...

I tried to find the Match.com commercial that actually inspired the title of this post (and the post itself). A couple of days ago, I was penning while it was playing and so I only caught the middle-to-end of the exchange. Anyway, the guy who was trying to get the gal to sign up on Match.com was asking her all kinds of things about what she liked and what she does, etc., etc. Anyway, his final response is what caught my attention:

"See," he said "You don't have to sell yourself. You just have to be yourself."

*Indeed*. You know, I really do wonder how many of us really remember that as we're in the process of either waiting to be brought to our beloved (Genesis 2:22) or determining if the one we're starting a relationship with truly is God's best for us, "selling ourselves"---trying to persuade someone into being with us or attempting to do whatever we can to be accepted by a guy---is *so not necessary*.

If fact, by attempting to advertise rather than simply share our *authentic* selves, more times than not, it backfires.

I know this firsthand because there are more than a few married couples that I work with where the husband and I both can't help but to give the wife *lots of side-eye* simply because while she was dating/courting, she presented herself to be one way and then after getting married...*the real her* showed up. And that's not fair to her husband because he's like "*I vowed* to marry the woman I dated. I have no idea who this chick is." (Yep. There's all kinds of ways to "bear false witness against your neighbor". None of them are right.)

And it's not like God pressures us to "put on a presentation" just to be in a relationship. First of all, we are daughters of the Most High (Psalm 82:6) and if that's not enough to make us want to celebrate our worth and identity, perhaps more of us should get these verses blown up so that we can hang them on the opposite wall of our bedrooms:

For You formed my inward parts
You covered me in my mother’s womb.

I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made
Marvelous are Your works,
And that my soul knows very well.

My frame was not hidden from You,
When I was made in secret,
And skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.

Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed.
And in Your book they all were written,
The days fashioned for me,
When as yet there were none of them.
 

How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God!
How great is the sum of them!

If I should count them, they would be more in number than the sand
When I awake, I am still with You.---Psalm 139:13-18(NKJV)

You've gotta give it up to him. King David really did know how to turn a phrase.

And really.

If you *truly believe* that you are fearfully and wonderfully made...
If you *truly believe* that God is well aware of your frame (no matter the body type)...
If you *truly believe* that the Father knows your soul (and therefore our soul mate) very well...
If you *truly believe* that Adonai's eyes has seen all of your substance---inside and out...
If you *truly believe* that your days are fashioned---including the day you will meet "the one"...
If you *truly believe* that God's thoughts for you are precious...

Why wouldn't you be comfortable just being yourself?
Why would you think that you should "false advertise"?
Why wouldn't you simply *chill out*, be an individual (Psalm 33:15) and wait on God's timing?

Especially since Ecclesiastes 3:11 tells us that everything (EVERYTHING) is made beautiful in its time?

Welp. That's all I got for now. Prayerfully it's enough. For now.

It really is quite the motto for a single gal...

"Don't sell yourself. BE YOURSELF."

God made you, he knows you and he loves you. And he's intentional about you and what he has for you.

The right guy won't need to be sold on how much of a gift that you are.

Trust God on that.


Luxuriant,

SRW

No comments:

Post a Comment